Nielsen Co. to Merge with NetRatings (posted 2/5)
The Nielsen Co., formerly VNU, has entered into an agreement to acquire NetRatings Inc., an Internet media and marketing company, of which the Neilsen Co. already owns 60 percent. Nielsen will acquire the remaining 40 percent of NetRatings at a price of $21 per share for a total purchase price of about $327 million.
NetRatings board of directors approved the merger unanimously following the recommendation and approval of an independent special committee of the board. The transaction price represents a 44.1 percent premium over NetRatings’ closing price on October 6 of last year. The merger is expected to close in the second quarter of the year. The Nielsen Co. is home to ACNielsen and Nielsen Media Research, best known for their TV ratings data, as well as the b-to-b magazines Billboard, Hollywood Reporter, Adweek, Mediaweek and others.
The Nielsen//NetRatings portfolio includes panel-based and site-centric Internet audience measurement services, online advertising intelligence, user lifestyle and demographic data, e-commerce and transaction metrics, and custom data, research and analysis.