57 Consumer Magazine Digital Initiatives Launched in First Quarter
Research conducted by Magazine Publishers of America shows that 57 consumer magazine digital initiatives were announced in the first quarter of 2007. New initiatives included podcasts, video, user-generated content, social networks, mobile program platforms and Web site redesigns.
MPA members who announced digital initiatives in the first quarter of 2007 include:
- AARP the Magazine, Segunda Juventud: Online audio versions of the magazines for blind consumers.
- American Express Publishing Corp.: Podcasts, weekly online episodes, multimedia programs.
- Conde Nast Publications: Blogs, podcasts, video.
- Crain’s Communications: Daily email alerts, website redesign.
- Dwell: Website redesign, social networking, video, blogs, podcasts.
- Forbes: Online competition, video content, online reader polls and voting, mobile-enabled website, free Wi-Fi directory.
- Gemstar-TV Guide: Broadband content, cross-platform distribution, indexed video content, website acquisitions, website redesigns, online and broadband syndication, online contests
- Hachette Filipacchi Media U.S.: Virtual test drives for new cars, online video, website redesigns.
- Hearst Magazines: User-generated content, expanded video offerings, online video games, mobile websites.
- The Knot: New wedding channel, original online video content.
- Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia: New website, new blogs.
- Meredith Corporation: Weekly satellite radio show, online video.
- National Geographic: Website acquisition, online video series, podcasts, branded cell phone service.
- New York: Custom directory for mobile phones of restaurant rankings.
- Newsweek: Web video channels, indexed video content online.
- Nickelodeon: Virtual online community for tweens.
- Playboy: eCommerce websites, entire photo and text on digital archive available on DVD.
- Primedia: Website revamp, online video, blogs, forums.
- Rodale Inc.: Integrated marketing platform, exclusive online content, video, web channels, new websites.
- Time Inc.: User-generated content, new in-house online production studio, online video, podcasts, news feeds, photo archive project partnership with Google.
TMG Founder Nominated for Entrepreneur of the Year
Jane Ottenberg, president and founder of custom publishing company The Magazine Group, has been named a finalist for the Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year 2007 Award in the Greater Washington Region. The awards honor outstanding entrepreneurs on a regional, national and global level. Ottenberg was chosen from more than 1000 nominations. Winners will be announced at a special event on June 21 at The Ritz-Carlton in Tysons Corner, Virginia.
American Heritage Suspends Publication
The New York Times is reporting that production of American Heritage, the bimonthly magazine published by Forbes Inc., will be put on indefinite hold starting with the June/July issue. The 350,000-circulation magazine has been for sale since January, and has yet to find a buyer, according to editor Richard F. Snow, who told the Times that "it’s a little like sailing the Flying Dutchman through the fog."
For more on this story click here.
Hachette Launches New Shelter Magazine
Hachette Filipacchi Media U.S. has launched a new home shelter magazine from the host of ABC’s Extreme Makeover Home Edition host Ty Pennington. The first issue hit newsstands Tuesday and will focus on decorating and remodeling solutions recommended by Pennington.
Supermarket News Redesigns Web Site
Penton Media title Supermarket News has redesigned its Web site to now offer expanded content and product coverage, and advanced search and navigation capabilities. The site also expanded its advertising banner sizes as well as sponsorship opportunities for white papers, podcasts and Webcasts, as well as a new "Ask The Experts" feature, which allows advertisers to interact with readers.
ALM to Launch New Guide
ALM’s Corporate Counsel magazine will publish a new guide this summer for in-house law departments at financial services companies. The guide, which was created in response to findings of a recent Corporate Counsel research study, will be distributed to more than 10,000 general counsel and will also be available on Law.com
Expansion Management Ups Circulation
Penton Media’s Expansion Management has increased its qualified circulation by 12 percent, now extending the publication to commercial real estate brokers involved in company relocation and expansion decisions. The magazine, which targets executives at companies looking to expand or relocate their facilities, now has a circulation of 44,500.
The Hollywood Reporter Launches New Online Video Content
Nielsen Business Media’s The Hollywood Reporter has launched streaming video from the Cannes Film Festival on its Web site. The video will feature a daily segment of additional coverage of the festival. Readers can also receive updates from the festival through mobile devices by signing up at www.moble.hollywoodreporter.com.