“Fast Company is a franchise all about change, and I have reached a point where it’s become clear that it’s time for me to make a change, too,” Safian told Adweek.
“For any kind of media brand, the brand is the people,” he said. “Media companies have to build from scratch every day, and even though you’re only as good as your next story, it’s all about the people.”
After his departure early next year, the current editor of Inc., Eric Schurenberg, will become the sole editorial and business head of both brands.
“Both of these brands have a special place in both the marketplace of ideas and the larger media marketplace,” said Safian. “I hope my team at Fast Company continues to expand their presence and their impact.”
Here are the rest of this week’s people on the move…
Apartment Therapy has tapped Laura Schocker (pictured) as its new editor-in-chief, overseeing the development of new verticals for the company. Shocker joins the publication from RealSimple.com, where she most recently served as digital director.
David Jackson has been appointed senior vice president and director of advertising & marketing for TV Guide magazine. Previously, Jackson served as EVP, group publisher at American Media for Men’s Fitness and its celebrity entertainment group, including Star, Ok! and RadarOnline.
International Data Group, Inc. (IDG) has announced that Charles Lee will assume the role of president, U.S. IDG Communications, Inc. while York von Heimburg has been named president, International IDG Communications Inc. Previously, Lee served as president of IDG’s Global Strategic Marketing Services group, while Heimburg adds his new role to his current position as CEO and President of IDG Communications Media AG in Germany.
Evelyn Webster, interim CEO of Guardian U.S. since January, is now its permanent CEO, also overseeing Guardian Australia. Webster formerly led U.S. operations for Time Inc.’s magazines.
Alison Victoria has joined Sophisticated Living Media Group as the new owner and publisher of Sophisticated Living Chicago magazine. Victoria serves as the host of HGTV’s “Windy City Flip” and president of Alison Victoria Interiors.
Dan Cruz, formerly VP of Public Relations at Competitor Group, is leaving the organization after almost 10 years.
The Fader and Cornerstone have hired Artesia Balthrop as an executive producer. Balthrop formerly served as a supervising producer, marketing/brand creative at Vh1.
Wired has named Wonbo Woo executive producer of video and Louise Matsakis a staff writer. Most recently, Woo worked as the Broadcast Journalist-in-Residence at the CUNY Graduate School of Journalism, while Matsakis joins Wired from Vice’s Motherboard, where she served as editor.
Rose Pastore has joined Gizmodo as its science editor. Pastore formerly served as an associate editor at Fast Company.
Finally, Time has announced a series of promotions and hires:
- Katherine Pomerantz has been named director of multimedia. Pomerantz formerly worked as photo editor for ABC News among other outlets.
- Sam Lansky has returned to Time from Spotify to become West Coast editor.
- Suyin Haynes has joined Time’s staff in Hong Kong as associate audience Editor. Suyin started as an intern in the London bureau.
- Sophia Gottfried has joined Time as assistant audience editor. Gottfried most recently worked as a staff writer at The Record and NorthJersey.com.
- Radhika Marya of the Fortune staff has joined the news desk as a news editor. Marya was most recently an editor at DNAinfo in New York.
- Jamie Ducharme of the Fortune staff joins the news desk as a reporter. Ducharme was most recently the health editor at Boston magazine.
- Julie Shapiro has been promoted to deputy editor of Time.com.
- Ashley Knierim has been promoted to director of editorial operations.
- Andrew Katz has been named deputy director of multimedia.
- Brittany Robins has been named deputy director of audience strategy for the News Group.
- Alice Park has been promoted to senior writer.
- Alex Fitzpatrick has been named deputy director of news.
- Liz Murray has also been named deputy director of news.
- Mandy Oaklander has been named editor of the Time Inc. Health Digital Desk.
- Ashley Hoffman has been promoted to newsfeed editor.
- Michael Zennie has been named senior editor, working on the news desk.
On the video team:
- Chris Grasinger has been named senior producer.
- Arpita Aneja has been named producer.
- Julia Lull has been named producer.
In the Washington bureau:
- Nash Jenkins, who became staff writer last winter, will cover Congress.
- Justin Worland has joined the Washington bureau where he adds the EPA to his coverage of climate and the environment.
- Kate Samuelson has been named a reporter.
- Talia Avakian, a reporter at Travel + Leisure, joins the news desk as a reporter.