VNU Business Media to Break Into Six Operating Groups
VNU Business Media has made it official. As first reported by Folio: Alert on Wednesday, VNU plans to restructure its company into "market-focused" groups. Under the plan, the company will now be broken into six operating groups and brands to be overseen by five senior vice presidents. The changes will take effect January 1.
Although sources say VNU Business Media is considering changing its name to something with "Nielsen" in the title after its very-recognizable Nielsen Media Research division, the company announced no formal plans today. Speaking on behalf of VNU, Lori Rosen said today the company would not confirm or deny reports of a name change.
The new structure will eliminate VNU Expositions, and VNU eMedia and Information Marketing as separate divisions. The company also announced the promotion of Greg Farrar, president of VNU Expositions to COO of VNU Business Media, reporting directly to Krakoff. He will have direct responsibility for international operations, licensing and multi-brand conferences.
The following is a list of the news groups, as well as the media properties that will fall under the groups:
- Marketing, to be overseen by Mike Parker – Adweek, Brandweek, Mediaweek, Editor & Publisher, The Clio Awards, Executive Perspective, American Artist, Watson-Guptill
- Film, John Kilcullen – The Hollywood Reporter, Back Stage, Ross Reports, ShoWest, Showeast, CineAsia, Cinema Expo Intl., Film Journal International
- Music, John Kilcullen – Billboard, Radio & Records, Kirkus Reviews, Bookseller, The Book Standard
- Retail, David Loechner – National Jeweler, JA Shows, Couture International Jeweler, Couture Jewellery Collection & Conference, Eurotec, Europa Star, Progressive Grocer, Convenience Store News, The Gourmet Retailer, Outdoor Retailer, Action Sports Retailer, Interbike, Fly Fishing Retailer, Merchandise Shows, Health & Fitness Business
- Residential and Commercial Building Design, Joe Randall – Impressions, EMB, Imprinted Sportswear Shows, Display and Design Ideas, GlobalShop, Contract, Kitchen & Bath Business, Kitchen/Bath Industry Show, Commercial Property News, Multi-Housing News, Multi-Housing World Expo, Hospitality Design, Hospitality Design Shows, Wood Technology Expo, Medtrade Shows
- Marketing Services & Travel, Bill Cooke – Marketing Services, Successful Meetings, Meeting News, Business Travel News, Potentials, Incentive, Training, Sales & Marketing Management, Marine Shows, Photo District News, PhotoPlus Expo
The changes are being driven by new VNU Business Media CEO Bob Krakoff, who is applying some of the same market-centric approach he used when he was head of Advanstar. Krakoff took over as CEO VNU’s business media division in August following the buyout of VNU B.V. by a consortium of private equity firms called Valcon Acquisition B.V., which paid $9.7 billion for the company. by Folio: Alert reported in early October that Krakoff’s plans included a restructuring of the company.
"Our new market-focused orientation provides the ability to better serve our audiences and clients by leveraging our market assets collectively and achieving greater back-office economies of scale for all of Business Media," Krakoff said in a statement released today. "This will also result in stronger brand differentiation, allowing us to create more product offerings and lead to greater revenue growth."