Podcast Revenues Poised to Skyrocket | Industry Notes
Esquire jumps into voice-assistant tech, and more from around the industry...
Podcasting on the rise…
After jumping 72 percent last year to $119 million, advertising revenues from podcasts are set to nearly double over the course of 2017, according to a new study conducted by PwC for the Interactive Advertising Bureau (IAB).
While direct response ads, long the bread-and-butter of podcast funding, continue to drive the vast majority of revenues (73 percent), brand awareness and branded content ads are slowly gaining, accounting for the remaining 27 percent of revenues in 2016, up from 17 percent in 2015.
The findings come on the heels of Apple's revelation, just weeks ago, that the tech giant will finally start providing podcast creators and advertisers with some basic, anonymized analytics on listeners — a solid 12 years after "taking podcasting mainstream" with the launch of iTunes 4.9.
From the job board…
Garden & Gun needs a production director. Based in Charleston, S.C., the ideal candidate has a minimum of five years' experience in magazine production and will be responsible for all financial and operational aspects of the ten-year-old Southern lifestyle title's bimonthly print schedule.
Esquire to the rescue…
"When packing the cooler, remember this order: Ice, Beer, Ice, Beer."
That's one of 60 voice-activated tidbits smartphone users can receive through the Google Assistant app (launched about a year ago on Android devices, and newly available to iPhone users as of last month) courtesy of Esquire.
Esquire Wisdom, the 83-year-old Hearst title's first foray into voice-assistant technology, which comes on the heels of similar launches by other Hearst brands like Elle, Good Housekeeping, and O, The Oprah Magazine, is all part of an effort by Hearst Magazines Digital Media to identify opportunities for brand extensions in ways that play to the strengths of both the magazine title in question and the platform on which it will reside.
"Esquire Wisdom is a fun extension of the brand that's perfect for this medium," said HMDM's global president, Troy Young, in a release.
Timed to coincide with 4th of July weekend, Esquire Wisdom offers sage advice beyond backyard barbecue tips, too, like, "Your tie should be the same width as your lapel," or "Never play cards with a man who wears a visor."
"The idea of Esky Wisdom, as we call it in the magazine, came from the notion that no other men's magazine has been as informed and as funny as Esquire," added editor-in-chief Jay Fielden.
A journalistic A-Team joins the Folio: Show program…
Folio: is delighted to unveil the latest addition to the Folio: Show program, "State of Siege: Examining the Craft and Business of Journalism," a keynote panel bringing together five top journalists for a discussion of how an atmosphere of unprecedented hostility against the media influences their daily work.
Eric Bates, editor, The New Republic
Lauren Duca, columnist, Teen Vogue
Jim Rutenberg, media columnist, The New York Times
Gabriel Sherman, national affairs editor, New York
Matt Thompson, deputy editor, The Atlantic