People on the Move | 9.28.07
Dennis Lewon, formerly senior editor of Outside magazine, will return to Backpacker magazine as deputy editor. Lewon was with Backpacker from 2001-2005 in a variety of editorial positions, the last of which was articles editor.
Fortune has hired Suzanne Kapner as writer to focus on the magazine’s growing dotcom site. Prior to joining Fortune, Kapner worked for the New York Post, the New York Times, and TheStreet.com.
Latina Media Ventures has promoted Mimi Valdés Ryan, current senior contributing editor of Latinamagazine, to the post of editorial director. Valdes Ryan joined Latina in 2006 after serving as editor–in–chief at Vibe.
Susan Freilicher has been promoted from associate publisher to publisher of Southwest Art magazine after twelve years with the title. Before joining Southwest Art, Freilicher worked in sales and marketing for fragrance and cosmetic companies like Yves St. Laurent and Revlon.
Country Home magazine will have a new editor-in-chief: LuAnn Bradsen, who has worked at Meredith for nearly two decades, most recently as editor of Renovation Style magazine.
Paul Muldoon has been named heir to Alice Quinn’s 20-year reign as poetry editor of The New Yorker. Muldoon, a native of Northern Ireland, is a Pulitzer Prize-winning poet and a professor of creative writing at Princeton University.
Victoria magazine has grown its ad sales team in time for its October relaunch with the following hires:
- Will Rogers as New York City-based Northeastern Sales Director,
- Jennifer Latter as Los Angeles-based West Coast Account Manager, and
- Kathleen Burke as Chicago-based Midwest Account Manager.
Bonnier’s Babytalk magazine has announced two additions to its editorial staff:
- Elizabeth Anne Shaw will return to Babytalk as executive editor after seven years at Self, most recently as deputy health director. Before joining Self, Shaw had been a senior editor at Babytalk.
- Dawn Roode will be managing editor at Babytalk. Prior to this move, Roode has worked in the same position at Child, Latina, and Harper’s Bazaar.