Please use the following guidelines to classify your magazine type for the Eddie and Ozzie Awards.
Description of Eddie Categories:
Note: Eddies topic/market categories must be selected based on your magazine's target market/topic. If you have questions about where to classify your magazine, refer to the 2006 Eddie and Ozzie Winner List to see applicable magazines for each category.
- B-to-B - Any magazine that serves a specific and sole industry or business community. examples: CFO, FOLIO: magazine, Government Executive
- Consumer - Any magazine intended for the general consumers or target demographic within a general consumer audience. examples: Newsweek, Men's Health, Seattle Magazine
- Association/Non-Profit - Any magazine or publication that serves the audience of a membership organization. B-to-b or consumer. Examples: IEEE Spectrum, HR Magazine, American Rifleman, AARP The Magazine
- Custom - Any magazine or publication contracted by an external client targeting an audience determined by that client intended to serve a marketing function.. examples: Delta Sky, Lexus, The Ritz-Carlton Magazine
- Supplemental Annual or One-Shot - Any single issue complement to an existing publication or standalone publication released once per year. Examples: Pure Canada, Dialogue, O2:POL Oxygen Design Directory
- Website - Any magazine website. Editorial content, layout, functionality and results will be evaluated.
- Online Column or Blog - Any online single opinion-oriented article and/or opinion-oriented/first person blog on your magazine's website.
- Online Tool - Any unique online application that enhances the user experience on your magazine's website. Examples include: wikis, widgets, social networking applications, specialized search functions, content aggregators, and social bookmarking.
- Online News Coverage - Any online single article or short series of articles relating to specific news coverage .
- Online Community - Any online program or feature that facilitates virtual member-to-member interaction.
Description of Ozzie Categories:
See above descriptions for consumer, b-to-b, association/non-profit and custom categories.
Sub-categories by circulation size should be based off of your verified circ.
- Best Cover - Awarded for outstanding design of a magazine cover as measured in typography, composition, color, balance, immediacy.
- Best Design, New Magazine - Awarded for outstanding overall design to a magazine that launched between June 1, 2006 and June 1, 2007.
- Best Feature Design - Awarded for outstanding design of a single feature article as expressed in appeal of opener, layout, colors, icons, images and typography
- Best Media Kit - Awarded for outstanding design, impact, memorability and functionality of a magazine media kit.
- Best Overall Design - Awarded for outstanding overall design of a magazine. The entire magazine will be evaluated, including sections, departments, features, readability, ease of navigation, use of art and images, and appropriateness of design to the subject.
- Best Redesign - Awarded for an outstanding redesign of an existing publication. Redesigns must have occurred between June 1, 2007 and June 1, 2008 and 2 issues must be submitted the old design and the redesign.
- Best Site Design - Awarded for outstanding design, functionality and navigation for a magazine website.
- Best Supplemental Annual or One-Shot - Awarded for outstanding overall design of a single issue complement to an existing publication or standalone publication released once per year.
- Best Table of Contents - Awarded for outstanding design of the table of contents page(s).
- Best Use of Photography - Awarded for outstanding use of photography in any single article/feature
- Best Use of Illustration - Awarded for outstanding use of illustration in any single article/feature or cover.
- Best Use of Digital Imagery - Awarded for outstanding use of digitally created or altered artwork in any single article/feature or cover.
- Best Use of Typography - Awarded for outstanding typographic treatment in any single article/feature.