MPA: 57 Magazine Digital Initiatives, 105 Magazine Launches in 1Q
Announcements for new print products exceed those for digital.
Research conducted by Magazine Publishers of America found that members announced 57 magazine digital initiatives in the first quarter of 2007, the highest number tracked in a single quarter since 2006.
However, MPA also says that 105 magazine launches were announced in the first quarter of 2007, a 4 percent increase over the same period in 2006. However, the key word is "announcements." Launching a new print magazine is a big (and expensive) deal, while new digital additions are being made rapidly and often quietly.
Among the announcements were:
- American Express Publishing Corp.: podcasts, weekly online episodes, multimedia programs
- Dwell: Web site redesign, social networking, video, blogs, podcasts
- Newsweek: Web video channels, indexed video content online
Magazine launches included:
- Conde Nast: Portfolio
- Forbes: Forbes Life Executive Woman
- Hachette Filipacchi: Ty Pennington Style