More Tablet Owners Prefer Yearly Magazine Subscriptions
New MPA Data: 55 percent also read back issues.
NEW YORK—At MPA Digital’s Social Media Summit Thursday, Ethan Grey, vice president of digital with the association, revealed results from its latest study slated to be released in January.
The data, which was conducted with Gfk MRI and surveyed 796 adults aged 18-plus who owned a tablet, shows that in general, tablet owners prefer to buy yearly subscriptions to digital magazines. About 56 percent of respondents prefer to purchase a one-year subscription, 31 percent prefer to buy monthly subscriptions, 11 percent normally buy half-year subscriptions and just 2 percent prefer multi-year subscriptions.
When asked about the type of digital magazine content they prefer, more than half—55 percent—say they read current and back issues. The remaining 45 percent prefer to only read the most current issues.
“This is an avenue for increased dollars in revenue for magazines,” Grey said.
Additionally, respondents find the price of digital magazines to be fairly reasonable—about 49 percent said they “agree somewhat” that pricing of digital magazines is fair.
When it comes to bundling, 34 percent of respondents “somewhat agree” that they are only interested in a digital subscription if it comes with a free print subscription. The second highest group of respondents—30 percent—“somewhat disagree” when asked if they are only interested in a digital subscription if it comes with a free print subscription.
Many respondents (44 percent) say they “somewhat agree” that the automatic downloading of their magazine subscriptions is convenient. About 36 percent “strongly agree.”
When it comes to loading times, 59 percent say they “somewhat agree” that the time it takes to download a magazine app is reasonable, with 27 percent saying they “strongly agree.”
The all-you-can-eat magazine model of Next Issue Media, said Grey, could become more popular, at least based on this data: 27 percent of respondents “strongly agree” when asked if they like having the ability to pay a flat subscription fee for a large library of magazines. About 46 percent “somewhat agree.”
When rating five digital newsstands, respondents thought most highly of Apple, with 90.8 percent saying the Apple Newsstand is excellent or good. When it comes to a browsing experience for new titles, Apple tied with Barnes & Noble’s Nook at 81 percent.
More information on digital magazine reader preferences will be released this January by the MPA.