Google Announces Subscription Service
Google One Pass will allow publishers to keep 90% of share.
Google announced today the creation of a service, Google One Pass, which will allow publishers to set their own prices and terms for the sale of digital content. Eric Schmidt introduced this new service at Humboldt University in Berlin.
The service will be accessible through Android operating tablets, smartphones and websites with one email and password sign-on combination. One Pass will allow publishers to customize the methods of how they charge customers. This will include sales options of subscriptions, metered access, “freemium” content and the purchase of single articles.
According to TechCrunch, metered access is a model in which publishers can offer a certain amount of content or number of visits for free, but will be given the option to charge frequent visitors a fee. With One Pass, publishers host their own content and may upload a list of the content into the Google interface. From there, publishers must then insert a small portion of code into their website, and One Pass is ready to operate.
Publishers will keep 90% of their share, with Google taking the remaining 10%. Publishers will also have access to subscriber demographics such as names and email addresses.
The service also allows publishers to authenticate current subscribers. This way, customers don’t have to re-subscribe to publications in order to access them on their chosen devices.
Payment is handled through Google Checkout technology. One Pass also offers the option of payment in mobile apps that allow transactions which take the user out of the app to complete the sale.
Google’s One Pass is already on board with Media General, NouvelObs, Bonnier’s Popular Science, Prisa and Rust Communications. One Pass is available in Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, the U.K., and the U.S.
Sarah Ohrvall, senior vice president of research and development for Bonnier, says, “We are thrilled with our new partnership with Google. With this solution, we are able to give consumers what they’ve been asking for – an easy, simple way to get Bonnier content through subscriptions and on various devices and websites.”
This announcement follows yesterday’s official launch of Apple’s new subscription app, which Popular Science will also utilize.