Welcome to the 2007 Folio: 40; the oldest, most comprehensive and most distinguished compilation of its kind. As always, we’ve spent the last year examining the entire industry, as well as a few markets that intersect it, for individuals from the executive suite on down who best represent an increasingly multifaceted media landscape. Individuals who have demonstrated tangible proof of actionable ideas.
This year’s list is reflective of what Folio: strives to accomplish with each issue; highlighting the best in the industry from consumer, b-to-b, association, and regional publications.
The 2007 Folio: 40 is not all-inclusive, nor is it meant to be. There are countless success stories that could be on this list. But the individuals profiled here represent the best of what the industry has to offer along with many other inventive minds.
These reports were compiled by Folio: staff editors Matt Kinsman, Bill Mickey, Marrecca Fiore and Linda Zebian, and contributor Jane Zarem.
- Jonas Bonnier – Chairman, Bonnier Corp.
- Will Cain – Publisher, Quince Girl
- Milt Jones – Owner, Publisher, Palm Springs Life
- Joe Mansueto – Founder, Mansueto Ventures LLC
- Steven Pleshette Murphy – President and CEO, Rodale
- Barbara Newton – President, Reiman Media Group
- Al Perlman – Co-founder and CEO, Microcast Communications Inc.
- Dan Ramella – Co-founder and President, Club & Resort Business
- Dana Spain-Smith – COO, DLG Media Holdings
- Neal Vitale – CEO, 1105 Media
- Chris Anderson – Editor, Wired
- Gregory A. Catsaros – VP Manufacturing, Primedia Enthusiast Media
- Colin Crawford – SVP, Online IDG Communications
- Alfred Edmond Jr. – SVP, Editor-in-Chief, Black Enterprise
The Hanley Wood Bench
- Bob Faletra – President, Channel Group, CMP Technology
- Dale Dougherty – Co-founder, Editor, Publisher, Make
- Terry McDonell – Editor, Time Inc.’s Sports Illustrated Group
- Marta Wohrle – SVP, Digital Media Hachette Filipacchi
- Doug Serafin – Director, Newsstand Planning, Hearst Magazines
- ASBPE – American Society of Business Publication Editors
- Nick Curci – President, Corporate Solutions
- Anup Bagaria – Vice Chairman, Wasserstein & Co.
- Every Day With Rachael Ray
- Frank Locantore – Director, Magazine PAPER Project Co-Op America
- Scott Karp – Editor and Publisher, Publishing 2.0
The Private Equity Searchers
- Josh Wolf – Blogger, Joshwolf.net
UNDER THE RADAR
- Tricia Bateman – Art Director, HOW Magazine
- Glenn Cook – Editor-in-Chief, Director of Publications, American School Board Journal
- Mary Dong – Production and Distribution Director, The Economist
- Macy Fecto – Senior Vice President, Human Resources, Access Intelligence
- Ed James – President, Cornerstone Public Relations
- Kathy Kohm – Editor, Conservation Magazine
- Anita Malik – Editor-in-Chief, EastWest
- Derek Powazek and Paul Cloutier – Co-Founders, 8020 Publishing
- Mahala Renkey – Director, Brand Management, Project Management Institute
- Tom Trezza – President and Founder, Trezza Media Group
ONES TO WATCH