We received this e-mail from the Joss Group on Monday, as the hurricane was about to hit. Not only did they take a shot at our decision to postpone the MediaNext event—we didn’t cancel it, we postponed until January—but they also made hurricane jokes.
For the record, Joss Group, here’s some of what Hurricane Sandy did:
• Caused 51 deaths.
• Knocked out power for 7.5 million people.
• Caused the cancellation of 16,000 flights.
• Caused unprecedented flooding on New York’s 100-plus-year-old subway system.
• Left much of Manhattan in darkness, with Lower Manhattan flooded.
• Caused the New York Stock Exchange to be closed on consecutive days, the first time since 1888.
• Destroyed scores of houses in fires in New York City.
So you can market your event by making light of the impact of a hurricane, and you can offer hurricane pricing, and mock our decision to postpone our event. But don’t expect everyone to think it’s clever.