Ex-Time Out Editor's Web Venture Unveiled
Farnham looking for an enterprising new hire.
Former Time Out New York editor Brian Farnham has been tight-lipped about the Internet start-up company he left the magazine late last month to help launch. Today, though, I received this e-mail from Farnham via LinkedIn. His company is an online news information site called Polar News. And apparently, theyâ€™re hiring.
The new positionâ€”a production managerâ€”is an interesting one. It seems to combine editorial, marketing and circulation responsibilities.
Interested? See the e-mail below.
On Behalf Of Brian Farnham
Sent: Monday, February 25, 2008 12:18 PM
To: Jason Fell
Subject: We're hiring!
If you have a moment, I'd appreciate your help. Please take a look and forward this job on to anyone you think would be interested in the position, or anyone else who could help me find a great candidate.
Thanks for your help!
Company: Polar News
Job Title: Product Manager
Description: If you...
-- Get Web 2.0
-- Want to work in a flexible entrepreneurial environment
-- Understand the term â€śhyperlocalâ€ť and its potential
-- Love building businesses from the ground up
â€¦then this may be a job for you:
A well-funded startup backed by Internet Pioneers Youâ€™ve Heard Of is looking for a Product Manager.
This person will OWN a specific vertical in a new online news and information siteâ€”conception, development, execution, reporting, and measurement.
The PM will report to the Vice President and work closely with all other departmentsâ€”content, engineering, marketing, etc.
-- Build and manage a product roadmap
-- Innovate, develop and execute strategies
-- Define user requirements for new features, incorporating cross-functional input, research, usability studies and competitive analyses.
-- Define and implement feedback and reporting requirements for all products to ensure that they can be optimized based on quantitative and qualitative data.
-- Work closely with the engineering team on technical implementations
-- Work cross functionally and take a hands-on role when needed (Editorial, Design, Marketing and Engineering.)
-- Identify business development opportunities and initiate meetings and potential deals
-- Drive projects from birth to adulthood
Experience / Skills / Profile:
* BA/BS required, ideally in a business, marketing, or computer science/engineering related field.
* At least one year of product management experience with strong social networking and Web 2.0 knowledge.
* Proficiency in HTML and Photoshop are a plus.
* Strong technical background (e.g., web standards, design and usability, and common web and application architectures).
* Excellent organizational skills including ability to build effective working relationships.
* Proven track record of setting aggressive goals and meeting them, with a style characterized by personal motivation, organizational skills and communications effectiveness.
* Knowledgeable across multiple functional areas â€“ Product Management, Engineering, UI, Sales.
* Juggle multiple tasks and projects simultaneously in a deadline-oriented environment.
* Strong aptitude for determining the optimal way to position products in the market.
* Experience managing budgets and demonstrating ROI..
* Experience in online news, media, services preferred.
Competitive compensation package including base salary, full benefits, performance and start-up based incentives.
Post Comment / Discuss This Blog - Info/Rules