Seven Ways to Improve Ad Sales
Carl Landau, president of Niche Media, urges creativity when adopting and maintaining advertising relationships. His approach: Donât take it so seriously, itâs just money.
1. Send promotional materials that make a statementâsomething bulky, noisy, edible or wearable. This creates a pre-existing conversation when you call to follow up on the package.
2. Send promotional materials via mail and e-mail on Monday or Tuesday so potential advertisers receive it on Wednesday or Thursday. Donât send materials on Friday to avoid the arrival on Mondayâwhen tons of junk mail/e-mail arrives.
3. Guarantee rate protection for advertisers. Guarantee
last yearâs rates if they sign up for 12 issues.
4. Instead of sending a media kit, send a four-page tell-all that covers circulation, reader feedback and educational highlights.
5. Play with e-mail. Use video to sell adds. Use broadcast videos. Remember the âP.S.â is the most read part of any e-mail.
6. Send media kits to three separate people at a company. Try to target those who donât normally receive media kits and always send one to the president.
7. Send a monthly letter to your advertisers that has nothing to do with sales. Include information on industry news, contests or fun pictures to help build a personal relationship beyond just the buy and sell.